The first and most critical step to assuring automation performs as required is the Sequences of Operation. We adapt the engineers SOO to the latest ASHRAE Guideline 36 High Performance SOO for HVAC Systems. We don’t change the engineer’s design, rather our job is to assure that the software that runs the building precisely follows design intent. Our input for the design phase includes the following:
- Review SOO and recommend adaptation of G36 by equipment type
- Expand the general section of the SOO to explain key concepts and direct the programmer to follow common themes applicable across equipment
- Upgrade SOO for modern efficiency strategies based on latest ASHRAE research to optimize operations
- Specify operational data record—a formal record of operations for the commissioning and warranty periods
- Expand trending and data collection requirements to feed the analytics system
- Recommend integrations between general controls and major sub-systems such as heating/cooling plant and lighting control
- Define operational evaluation criteria so the control contractor has an unambiguous definition of how the building should be operating
- Enhance graphics and user interface specifications to improve usability by the building operator
- Configure reporting system to be informative to operators
Our design service recommendations focus on one destination—to provide the control contractor with best possible set of instructions to facilitate their programming task.
Our SBAP construction services focus on increasing the likeliness that the control contractor implements strictly to the specification. We also support the commissioning agent’s activities near at the end of the construction phase with data from EnergyWitness. Typical IDS construction phase services:
- Review of control contractor’s submittal for conformance to specification.
- Automation code reviews of the terminal system prior to their installation to avoid widespread installation of inadequate code
- Establish data flow between the control system and EnergyWitness late in the construction phase, which begins the process of capturing operational data.
- Make EnergyWitness available for the Cx agent and other team members (owner, OPM, engineer, MEP construction manager, control contractor) to view progress toward acceptance.
- Review HVAC operator screens for conformance to specification.
- Review reporting system configuration for conformance to specification.
- Create building’s digital twin
IDS collects operational data throughout the warranty period and establishes a permanent Operational Data Record (ODR) for the first year of operations. [For a 150,000 SF STEM-type building that’s 80-100 million 15-minute data records!] This is the data we use to perform operational evaluations using EnergyWitness coupled with analytics and an IDS analyst. During the warranty period IDS will:
- Assign analyst for the duration of the warranty period
- Configure fault detection and diagnostic analytics
- Perform three operational evaluations, documenting the systems’ conformity to the evaluation criteria
- Deliver training sessions for facilities personnel that cover the building’s design intent, controls user interface, analytics, and troubleshooting
- Review hot/cold calls with the facilities personnel along with remediation recommendations
At the end of warranty IDS documents final conformance against design specification.
IDS’ Ongoing Monitoring begins at the end of warranty and provides continuous verification of conformance to operational design intent. Ongoing monitoring provides:
- Ongoing data collection from BAS and metering systems
- Access to EnergyWitness analytics 24×365
- Quarterly operational reviews against evaluation criteria (pass/fail) with recommendations to address failures
- Creation of energy baseline for automated energy savings tracking
- Hot/cold call root cause determination with remediation recommendations
- Trouble shooting support and remediation recommendations
- Up to 16 hours of training of EnergyWitness analytics annually
- Data exporting support from BAS to EnergyWitness
- Phone and email support